Thursday, August 12, 2010

I Promise You

Chapter 1



Dong Hae opened his eyes slowly to see a young woman lying on his chest. He sighed and moved her off his chest gently, trying not to wake her. The young woman shifted and faced the other way as Dong Hae got off the bed. He picked up his pants that lie on the floor and put them back on. While he searched for his shirt, he heard the young woman groan and shift from her position.

�Obba�� she said calmly.

Dong Hae turned to her and she had a smile planted on her face. �Have a good sleep?�

The young woman nodded her head and asked, �Where are you going, obba?�

�Away,� he replied vaguely.

After he found all of his belongings, he headed towards the door. But before he could leave, the young woman spoke.

�Wait!� she exclaimed sitting up, covering herself with the blanket. �Will we ever see each other again?�

�Don�t count on it,� Dong Hae replied.

�But you said you loved me.�

He chuckled and looked at her, �Babo. Don�t you know? Love is just a word.�

With that said, he left the room shutting the door behind him, leaving the girl by herself in the hotel room. He walked out of the hotel coolly as the wind blew in his hair. With a smirk set upon his face, Dong Hae walked over to his motorcycle and drove to school.

--

A young girl with short brown hair had a pencil in her hand and wrote down her answer for the question on the test. She sighed and looked at the time, another fifteen minutes before the class was over. The room was dead silent except for the sound of writings of a pencil. She wrote down her answer again for the last question before turning in her test. When she finished, she stood up and walked up to the teacher�s desk with her test.

�Thank you�Tiffany,� the teacher said taking her test.

Tiffany nodded her head and when she walked back to her seat, the classroom door had opened and all the students looked up from their desk and their focus on whoever was at the door.

�Dong Hae�you�ve been late about fifteen times!� the teacher exclaimed quietly. �Out in the hall now!�

The teacher walked out with Dong Hae and Tiffany sat down, looking out the door window.

�Do you know how this is going to affect your grade?� the teacher questioned.

Dong Hae yawned and rolled his eyes. �Do you think I care?�

�Well you should care, this is going to effect your future. It�s amazing how you�ve passed all year. This is your senior year in high school, if you don�t do good, you won�t be accepting any offers from collage.

� Listen old man,� Dong Hae said rolling his eyes. �I�m not here because I want to be okay? I wouldn�t be here if it wasn�t for my fool of a father. It�s not like he�s even around.�

The teacher scoffed and told Dong Hae to get back into the classroom. Tiffany�s eyes followed Dong Hae as he found his seat.

Dong Hae�you�re always late. What�s going on with you? You�ve started to even skip some classes.

Dong Hae�s eyes had found Tiffany and she looked away quickly, hoping that he didn�t catch her looking at him.

--

When school was over, Tiffany gathered her things and walked to her friend�s house. She knocked three times on the door and waited for an answer. Her friend�s brother answered the door.

�Oh, Tiffany�� he said with a smile. �Are you here to see Yoona?�

�Yes, is she�doing better?�

Her brother nodded and let her in. �Yoona!� he called. �Tiffany�s here to see you.�

�Tiffany-unnie is here?� a soft voice said in the distance.

Yoona�s brother left Tiffany�s side and walked over to get Yoona. Her brother took his sister by the arm and gently walked over to where Tiffany was. When Yoona was close enough, she reached out her hands and touched Tiffany�s face.

�Ah!� Yoona exclaimed happily.

�I told you I�d come and see you.�

�Jung Min, could you get Tiffany and I something to drink?� Yoona asked finding her brother with her hands.

Jung Min took a hold of her hands and chuckled. �I�ve got it.�

Tiffany guided Yoona to the couch while Jung Min went to the kitchen. �How have you been doing Yoona?�

�I�ve been good, and you?� she replied.

�Same�where did your parents go?�

�Oh, they took a vacation to the States�I don�t know when they�ll be back. I think Jung Min knows�� Yoona replied.

Jung Min walked in the room with three sodas in his hand and joined the girls in their conversation. Yoona felt around for the drink, knowing where they been set because of the noise.

--

Tiffany had stayed until mid-afternoon. The sun was setting and she had to return home for dinner.

�Come visit again Unnie,� Yoona said giving Tiffany a hug.

�I will�you and your brother take care of yourselves okay?�

Yoona pulled away and nodded. Tiffany waved to Jung Min and walked out of the house, closing the door behind her. She pulled out her cell phone from her school bag and dialed her home phone.

�Sorry Umma, I went to visit Yoona and I lost track of time.�

While she was talking to her mother, she was crossing a four-way intersection in the street. Being careless, she hadn�t looked both ways and crossed the street. A car coming her way jet fast, but Tiffany didn�t hear it because she was talking on the phone.

�Dong Hae, did you really sleep with that girl?� one of his friends asked.

�Yeah, why wouldn�t I? She was too easy anyways�you could probably get her into bed too,� Dong Hae replied with a smirk.

�What was her name again?�

�I don�t know�Sung something. Like I care about the names.�

His friends laughed and stopped when he saw Tiffany walking.

�What is she doing?� he asked.

Dong Hae looked at what his friend was looking at and without knowing it, Dong Hae sprung toward Tiffany. She didn�t notice the car coming until it was close to her. She dropped her cell phone and shook with fright. A moment later, she had found herself on the ground. Tiffany winced in pain and looked at her arms and legs. When she looked up, she gasped and ran over to the person that had saved her life.

�Dong Hae obba!� she said, as she turned him over.

The impact of the car had been fast and Dong Hae had blood on him coming from his mouth. Dong Hae�s friend had run to them and said, �Is he all right?�

�Does it look like it?� Tiffany asked rhetorically. �Call 911!�

Chapter 2




After the nurses had put bandages on Tiffany�s wounds, Tiffany walked over to the desk and asked for Dong Hae�s room number.

�I�m sorry, but we�re doing operations on his body at this moment. It seems that the car had a pretty good impact on him. You�ll have to come back tomorrow,� the nurse replied. �I�ll put you on the list so you can just walk to his room without asking. May I ask for your name?�

�Tiffany Hwang,� she said.

The nurse wrote down her name on a piece of paper that was clipped onto a clipboard. She looked up and smiled. �Thank you. His room number is 13.�

Tiffany nodded her head in thanks and walked away from the counter. She walked over to Dong Hae�s friend who was sitting in the waiting room. He stood up when she walked in the room.

�How is he?� he asked.

�I�m not sure. The nurse said that they�re doing operations on his body right now because the impact of the car hit him pretty badly.�

His friend nodded his head and asked, �Want me to take you home?�

�Oh, I could use the ride. Thanks Ki Bum,� Tiffany said with a smile.

--

Tiffany waved to Ki Bum who drove off after she had reached the front steps of her house. She turned and opened the door to see her little brother, Jong Im, running around with his paper airplane.

�Tiffany!� she heard her mother cry. �Are you all right?�

�I�m fine Umma,� Tiffany said turning away.

Her mother turned Tiffany around and looked at her bandaged scars. �What happened?�

�I was�being reckless when crossing the street. One of my classmates had saved me from the hit�but he unfortunately was the one that took the blow,� Tiffany said looking away from her mother�s eyes.

�And who is this classmate?� her mother asked worried. �Is he alright? Does his parents know?�

�Umma, stop asking so much questions�they�re doing operations right now�but they say that�s he�s going to be all right.�

�Thank goodness for his good heart�who is he?�

�Lee Dong Hae�� Tiffany said with a smile thinking of him. �Lee Dong Hae.�

�Lee Dong Hae?� Her mother questioned. �Isn�t he that boy I�ve always heard about? Sleeping with girls and skipping school.�

�Yeah�� Tiffany replied quietly.

Her mother gasped and said, �That boy��

�Umma! Please�don�t. You should be grateful that he actually had the heart to save my life. Now stop it�I�m going to visit him tomorrow morning to see how�s he doing.�

With that said, Tiffany walked upstairs to her room. Her mother looked at Tiffany worried and sighed.

�If you�re hungry, there�s still some dinner left!�

--

Tiffany woke up to the sound of her alarm and jumped out of her bed. She did her daily routines quickly and then headed out the door. It was about six when she left the house and headed to the hospital to visit Dong Hae. She talked with the same nurse she had yesterday and then continued onto Dong Hae�s room. She knocked on the door quietly to signal him that someone was coming in and then opened the door. Shutting the door behind her, she walked passed the curtains and saw Dong Hae sleeping. He had a cast on his left leg and one on his left arm. He was in bad condition. She was scared to know how his stomach must look like after the impact on it.

�I�m sorry�I hadn�t been more careful,� Tiffany said quietly as she took a seat by his bed.

She looked over his body and felt tears coming. �If it wasn�t for my recklessness�you�d be in so much better condition than this.�

A teardrop fell from her face and landed on Dong Hae�s hand. She saw him twitch and looked at his face. Dong Hae�s eyes opened slowly and his eyes caught Tiffany�s figure.

�What are you doing here?� he asked with a yawn.

Tiffany wiped her tears and smiled. �I�m just visiting.�

�Were you just crying?�

�Yeah�sorry�for what you had to do.�

�Don�t cry�there�s nothing to cry about. I didn�t mean to save you�it just so happened,� Dong Hae said turning his eyes away. �I don�t even really know who you are.�

Tiffany nodded her head. �You could�ve died�Dong Hae. That�s why I am crying��

�I don�t think�anyone would have cared. I�ve got no family��

�Your friends would�ve cared��

�Friends? What friends?�

�You know�Ki Bum and the rest of your gang,� Tiffany said.

�Yeah�whatever. They think I�m their friend�but don�t you know? Friends don�t exist.�

�Yes they do�why do you say that?�

�Friends are just regular people like us. Why is there even a term for that? They are just there to use when you are in need. After that�they are just a pile of garbage that you toss to the side. There�s no use for them anymore.�

Tiffany balled her hand up into a fist trying to not explode out on him. �You�re wrong.�

�Then what are they to you?� Dong Hae asked looking at her. �Tell me.�

�A friend is someone you can trust and always count on to be there for you. They are like your family.�

Dong Hae looked away as he laughed. �You silly girl��

�Then I suppose you don�t believe in love either?� she asked curiously.

�Correct. Love is nothing, it�s just a four letter word.�

He looked at Tiffany�s expression on her face and smirked. �You�re welcome to leave anytime you want to. I don�t really care�and when you leave. Don�t even bother coming back.�

Tiffany stood up from the chair and made her way towards the door but stopped in front of the door. �You just wait Dong Hae. I will show you the true meaning of love and friendship. I promise you that.�

With that said, Tiffany left the room. Dong Hae felt a shiver run up his spine and then chuckled. �Then you show�me�Tiffany Hwang.�


Chapter 3


�Yoona!� her older brother called from downstairs. �Your friend Yoo Ju is here!�

Yoona stood up from the couch and carefully made her way towards the front door. She tried to remember who this �Yoo Ju� girl was.

�Yoo Ju?� she questioned confused.

�You don�t remember me?� the girl�s voice peeped. �I was your best friend in high school before accident.�

Yoona still couldn�t remember who she was and shook her head. �I don�t remember��

Yoo Ju looked at Jung Min and asked, �Do you mind if I take her out with me to refresh her memory? We used to do everything together, but I lost contact with her.�

�Uh sure�is it all right Yoona?� Jung Min asked looking at his younger sister.

She nodded her head and smiled. �Yes it is. It�s good for me to make more friends�for all I have is one.�

�Perfect then!� Yoo Ju said with happiness. �I�ll bring her back before sunset!�

--

�So where are we going?� Yoona asked as Yoo Ju held her arm.

�Oh somewhere�� she with an evil smile on her face.

Yoona walked behind Yoo Ju like a dog until she came to a stop. �All right Yoona, stay here for bit okay? I�ll be right with a surprise for you.�

Yoo Ju let go of Yoona�s hand and ran off. Yoona could hear Yoo Ju�s heels click against the cement and fade into the distance. She had no idea where they were or where she stood. Yoona waited nervously, not moving on inch from her spot. After what seemed like five minutes, she called out Yoo Ju�s name.

�Yoo Ju?� she called out. �Yoo Ju!�

There was no answer. It was quite obvious to her that Yoo Ju was nowhere near her. Frightened, she started to walk the way she was facing. But then she heard a vehicle coming and jumped back.

�Watch it lady!� she heard the diver shout.

Yoona turned around and started to head the other way, but another vehicle sped passed her. Now she was lost in the downtown streets of Seoul. �Someone!� she screamed. �Help me!�

The people around the streets thought she was going crazy, having no idea that was blind occurred to their minds. Yoona started to run one way but a vehicle would just swerve passed her making her go the other way. Tears started to fill her eyes because of her being so scared. She stopped in front of a speeding car with her back turned to it. No later than a second, she found herself in someone�s arms and on the hard rugged cement.

�Are you blind?� A young male�s voice asked. �Could you not see you are standing in the streets of downtown? Do you want to die?�

Yoona was too afraid to talk. The young male looked at Yoona shake with fear and asked, �Are you all right?�

She nodded her head unsteadily. �Maybe you should take your sunglasses off, that might help you see better.�

As he reached for them, Yoona felt the presence of his hand and jumped back. �What�s wrong?� he asked taking his hand back. �It�s all right��

Yoona shook her head. �No�it�s not.�

�Calm down�first�all right?�

Once again he reached for her sunglasses to take them and this time, she didn�t move. When he removed them, he was shocked. Yoona�s eyes were gray and stared blankly.

�Can�can you see me?� he asked.

Yoona shook her head. �No I can not.�

He lowered his head and apologized. �Sorry about what I said earlier, I didn�t know��

�That�s all right�� Yoona said.

The young man helped her off the ground and handed her sunglasses back to her. �May I ask who you are?�

�Oh, sorry. I�m Ki Bum,� he said taking her hand. �It�s nice to meet you-�

�Yoona,� she finished with a smile. �Im Yoona.�

Ki Bum chuckled and nodded his head. �All right then Yoona�can I ask who let you out in the streets like this?�

�Um�I think her name was Yoo Ju��

The smile on his face faded and shook his head. �That girl��

Yoona took her hand out of his and then touched his face to get the feeling that whenever he was around she could recognize him immediately. �I�m�sorry.�

�That�s all right�the um�blind people do that, right?� Ki Bum asked unsteadily.

She nodded her head. �Yes.�

�So you want me to take you home?� he asked.

�Do you know where I live?�

�No, but you can tell me�can�t you?�

--

Dong Hae lay in the hospital bed a lone watching whatever was interesting on T.V until the nurse came in. He turned off the T.V and turned his attention to her.

�As you can see�you�ve got a broken arm and leg on the right side and your ribs are damaged badly,� she said.

�I�m�aware of that.�

�Which means that what ever activities you are doing currently, you will have to quit. There�s no way you�re going to be cured by the time that is.�

�I�m fine with that�it�s not like I care about that anyways.�

�Dancing�you can�t do. You are not eligible to do that anymore.�

Dong Hae�s eyes widened. �What?�

�I�m sorry Dong Hae�the doctors have told me that you can�t break dance or dance anymore.�

�What am I supposed to do now? Play golf?�

�Sorry��

The nurse bowed to Dong Hae and left the room without a word. Dong Hae shook his head. �Aish�I shouldn�t have done that. Tiffany could�ve survived�it�s not like she is doing anything important. Risked my life for her�I don�t even know who the hell she is.�

He turned the T.V back on trying to get what the nurse said off his mind.

--

Ki Bum arrived at Yoona�s house and guided her up the stairs. He knocked on the door and waited for someone to open the door. He heard footsteps from inside the house coming and the locks from the door being unlocked.

�Yoo Ju? Back so-� Jung Min stopped when he saw Ki Bum and gave him a disgusted look. �Oh you�what are you doing with my sister?�

�Well, this so called Yoo Ju left your sister hanging around in the streets�� Ki Bum explained. �I saved her from getting hit from a fast speeding car.�

Jung Min looked at Yoona and then back at Ki Bum. �Well�thanks�anyways. She and I are truly grateful for what you�ve done. And this Yoo Ju�why has she done this to my sister?�

�I don�t know�that�s what I�m going to see for myself.�

Jung Min stepped out of the house and looked at Yoona to make there were no scars or anything on her. �You can leave now�thanks.�

Ki Bum nodded his head. �Bye�Yoona.�

Yoona turned her head to the sound of his voice and waved. �Bye, bye.�

Jung Min took Yoona inside the house and shut the door behind them. �Yoona�do you know who that boy is?�

�Yes�Ki Bum. He�s my rescuer,� she replied.

�Don�t you know that he has a bad reputation for hanging out with Lee Dong Hae?� Jung Min asked.

�No�I don�t care. Ki Bum is a kind gentlemen.�

Jung Min sighed. �I don�t want you to see him okay? He could be dangerous.�

�Obba, you�re starting to sound like Appa. Appa always gave me these little speeches when I was younger. Don�t be like that.�

Chapter Five


Dong Hae awoke in the middle of the night and noticed another patient had been placed in his room. Thinking he had the room to himself, he looked at the patient disgustedly and shook his head. He then tried to sit up to see what the patient looked like, but it was too painful to move. Dong Hae only saw the head of the patient; the rest of the patient�s body was hidden behind the curtains. A moment later, he saw the door open and he quickly shut his eyes to make it seem that he was sleeping.

�Hwang Jong Im is his name,� he heard a female voice say. �The doctor told me that he has leukemia�such a young age is so sad.�

�How long has he had it?� another female voice asked.

�I�m not sure, they had just brought him in this morning. The doctor isn�t sure of it either.�

�He�s how old? Four?�

�At the most�yes. Doctor Shim has told me that the Jong Im�s mother has already signed the papers for his treatment, should we wait until tomorrow?�

�Yes, let the boy sleep.�

Dong Hae heard the door open and the ladies left the room. He opened his eyes and looked at the young boy. �So�is this Tiffany�s brother?�

--

�You called Jung Min?� Tiffany questioned when Jung Min opened the door.

�Oh yes�did I tell you about Yoona returning to school?� he asked.

Tiffany�s eyes shot wide. �Really? That�s great!�

�Do you think you could accompany her there then?� he asked. �I mean�all day if I�m not asking too much.�

�Oh no, of course not. I�ll guide her throughout the year�is she going all week or just three days?�

�Well, I�ve thought it over and I guess she�s only going three days a week. I don�t want to go too hard on her.�

�All right then. When is she starting?�

�Uh�today,� he said rubbing the back of his head with a smile. �Sorry if it�s so sudden.�

�It�s all right, where is she?�

�She�s upstairs getting ready, want me to call her down?�

�No it�s fine. I�ll go get her,� Tiffany said, walking in as soon as Jung Min moved to the side.

Yoona felt around her room looking for her notebooks and supplies when she heard a knock at the door.

�C-Come in!�

Tiffany opened the door and smiled. �Hello Yoona. Are you ready?�

�Oh I�ll be just a minute�I can�t find my supplies.�

�That�s all right, I�ve got them,� Tiffany said walking over to her desk.

�Thank you.�

--

On their way to school, they met up with Ki Bum who was riding his bike to school. He looked over at Yoona and Tiffany.

�Hey Ki Bum,� Tiffany said with a smile.

Yoona looked in the direction Tiffany was talking and smiled. �Ki Bum?�

�Hey Yoona,� he said cheerfully. �Are you going to school now?�

�Uh huh�Tiffany is going to help me, but I�m not sure what my schedule is.�

�Ah�I can help Tiff if you need any,� Ki Bum offered.

�Would you? That would be great, just in case Yoona isn�t in any of my classes.�

Yoona�s smile on her face faded as she remembered what her brother had said to her. �I don�t want you to see him okay? He could be dangerous.�

�What�s wrong Yoona?� Ki Bum asked.

Breaking her trace of thought, Yoona shook her head and smiled. �Oh�nothing. Just thinking.�

--

When Dong Hae woke up, he looked over to where Jong Im�s bed was and the curtains weren�t covering him anymore and he was sitting up eating his breakfast. The T.V was also on, but it was on the kid�s channel. Jong Im looked over at Dong Hae and waved to him with a smile. Dong Hae smiled back weakly. He seems pretty happy�probably because he doesn�t know that he has leukemia

�What�s your name?� Jong Im asked climbing to the edge of his bed.

�Dong�Hae,� he replied slowly.

�I�m Jong Im�I think you know my sister,� he said cutely. �Tiffany��

Dong Hae nodded his head and was thinking that he didn�t really want to talk.

�The nurses said that I have a boo-boo inside of me. I don�t know what she�s talking about�I feel fine and nothing hurts.�

�That�s�nice to know.�

�Yeah�but they said for me to take care of myself until mommy and sissy come.�

Dong Hae smiled at his cute remarks. Kids�they�re the best. Always so optimistic, they don�t even know what�s about to happen to them�yet they are still happy.

�Are you scared?� he questioned.

�Me? Scared?� Jong Im questioned back. �Jong Im isn�t afraid of anything! After Jong Im saved papa, me no scared.�

�You saved your father?� Dong Hae asked curiously raising his eyebrow.

�Yup! Papa was dying�so Jong Im call 911.�

�Smart one��

Such a smart and brave child�it�s sad that God has cursed him with such an illness.

The door opened a few minutes later and a nurse walked in. She walked over to Jong Im first to see how he was doing and then to Dong Hae.

�All right Dong Hae, although you�ve only been here for a couple days, the doctor says that your bones are healing quite quickly and you might be able to leave here next week.�

�Really? Are you serious?�

The nurse nodded her head. After that was said, the nurse left the room, taking away Jong Im�s finished breakfast.

�Aw�I think Jong Im�s going to be here for next month. When you leave Dong Hae, you come visit me?�

�You�ve already your mother and sister, what do you need me for?�

�Well�I�ve never had a brother�would you be my brother?� Jong Im asked lighting up.

Dong Hae saw the happiest expression on Jong Im�s face that he couldn�t resist nodded his head. If he would have said no, he knew that Jong Im would�ve been heartbroken.

�Sure�why not? I�ve never had a brother either.�

Jong Im�s smile widened. �I would hug you right now�but I�m starting to hurt and�you look hurt.�

�You hurt? Where?�

�Right�right�� Jong Im couldn�t say the words out as he fell down onto his bed and started to shout and cry, �It hurts! It hurts!�

�Help!� Dong Hae shouted repeatedly until someone came rushing in.

--

�All right�here�s Miss Im�s schedule�� the woman at the desk said handing Tiffany a slip of paper.

Tiffany scanned it and was disappointed. �She�s not in any of my classes��

�I�m sorry, but all the other classrooms are filled. Is there another friend of Yoona?�

�I am,� Ki Bum said. �I�ve got all of her classes. I�ll guide her.�

Tiffany and Yoona looked at Ki Bum and Tiffany smiled. �All right��

Ki Bum took Yoona by the hand and they left the office with Tiffany following them. Before the two left to their classes, Tiffany talked to Yoona.

�Yoona, I�ll be around the school okay. The office is letting my use my phone, so if you need anything just call me or if you are in trouble�araso?�

Yoona nodded her head. �Okay!�

Chapter 6


�How�s Jong Im doing?� Tiffany asked the nurse as they walked to his room.

�He�s doing great! He�s a really strong boy�very optimistic too,� the nurse said with a smile.

�He gets that from father�but it�s sad to think that he�s going to pass away just like my father had,� Tiffany said lowering her head.

�I�m sorry�Tiffany.�

�It�s all right��

They arrived at Jong Im�s room and saw that Jong Im was out of bed and talking to Dong Hae. Tiffany was surprised to see that Jong Im and Dong Hae were sharing the same room. Jong Im noticed his sister walk in and ran over to her.

�Nuna! You�ve come to visit brother?�

�Yes�but how come you aren�t in bed? You should be resting,� Tiffany said kneeling down to his level.

�I was talking to brother�Dong Hae-hyung agreed to be my big brother!� Jong Im announced happily.

Tiffany smiled at him and then looked at Dong Hae who was staring up at the ceiling. �That�s great, but you should get rest�I wouldn�t want anything else to happen to you okay?�

�Okay�� Jong Im said looking down at the floor.

Obeying his older sister, he climbed onto his bed and pulled the blankets over him. Tiffany rose from her position and walked over to Dong Hae who avoided eye contact with her. She smiled at him and titled her head to side.

�Can I ask you why you jumped in front of the car?� Tiffany questioned.

�I thought I told you already�� Dong Hae replied, still not looking at her.

�I just wanted to be sure��

�Well now you are.�

�So how long are you in here for?� she asked sitting next to him.

�I don�t know�until next week? They said I�m recovering pretty fast��

The nurse walked over to Dong Hae and Tiffany and said, �Could you excuse us Tiffany? I�m going to do some check-ups on Dong Hae. It won�t be that long.�

Tiffany nodded her head and walked over to her brother. Jong Im was fidgeting with his blanket and looked up at Tiffany.

�The nurse said that I�m going to be in here for a long time. It�s so boring�because hyung might be leaving next week. No one will be here to keep me company,� he said sadly.

�Oh don�t worry, I�ll come here everyday to see you with Yoona and Ki Bum and umma,� Tiffany said rubbing Jong Im�s head.

�Who�s Ki Bum?� Jong Im asked.

�He�s�a friend of Dong Hae��

Jong Im smiled. �I love you nuna!�

Tiffany smiled at him and gave him a hug.

--

�All right Yoona, this is our first class�World Geography,� Ki Bum said leading Yoona into the room.

Yoona held onto Ki Bum�s hand tightly when the two of them walked into the classroom. Ki Bum had a talk with the teacher before they sat down at their desk.

�Ah, I see. Well, luckily there�s an open seat next to you then Ki Bum,� Yoona heard the teacher say. �She can sit there.�

�Thank you.�

Ki Bum guided Yoona to her seat and she sat down feeling around in her area. The students who sat around her looked at her and then at Ki Bum.

�Is�she shy?� one asked.

�I�d say so��

One of the students looked at her eyes and turned to Ki Bum. �Is she blind?�

�Yes�� Ki Bum said.

Soon enough, students filled Ki Bum with questions until Yoona said, �You guys�I can talk too. I don�t think Ki Bum should answer all those questions. If you want questions to be answered then please talk to me.�

The students all of a sudden then turned their attention to Yoona, only the guys though. Ki Bum sighed when Yoona defended him. He looked around the room and could tell already that the girls were going to hate Yoona because she�s only been in the school for less than twenty minutes and is already popular with the guys.

�So, are you single?� one asked.

Yoona nodded her head.

�When was the last time you saw yourself in the mirror?�

�Years ago,� she answered truthfully.

�Would you mind going out with me tonight?�

Ki Bum didn�t bother with the questions that were asked until he started to hear questions about dating or going out. He looked back at her and she had confused expressions on her face.

�Hey, hey, hey!� Ki Bum interrupted. �Give her a break, she�s a new student! Give her some air to breath and stop sticking questions down her throat. Sheesh��

The students looked at Ki Bum and backed off from Yoona. Yoona smiled and Ki Bum smiled at her, knowing that she couldn�t see it. The teacher finally turned his attention to the students and began class after twenty minutes.

Chapter 7


The next two weeks passed by slowly for Dong Hae as he awaited his department from the hospital.

�When will I be released from here?� Dong Hae asked the nurse who was packing up his stuff.

�Tonight��

The nurse handed Dong Hae his crutches and left the room. Dong Hae brought himself over to Jong Im�s bed but he wasn�t there.

Where could he have gone? It�s seven in the morning�usually he�s asleep.

Dong Hae got out of the room and walked up to the nurse�s desk.

�Can I help you Dong Hae?� she asked politely.

�Do you happen to know where Jong Im is by any chance?� he asked curiously.

The nurse was silent and nodded her head. �Yes��

He waited for her to tell him where he was. �And he is where?�

�Dong Hae�he�s in the emergency room. His cancer is getting worse each day and last night he almost died. We aren�t sure how much longer he has to live but-�

�But what?� Dong Hae interjected raising his voice a bit. �Can�t you give him something to prolong his life or something?�

�We�ve given him the treatment already to do that.�

�Then why isn�t it working?�

The nurse didn�t respond to his question and looked down sadly. �I�m not sure�why��

Dong Hae tried to relieve the anger that was swelling up inside him. He didn�t like the thought of Jong Im passing away or making it seem that way. Even though he didn�t show it, he actually did see Jong Im as a little brother. Although it was only a few weeks they were in the hospital together.

�And you call yourself a nurse,� Dong Hae said walking off to find the emergency room.

The nurse looked up and asked, �Where are you going Dong Hae?�

He didn�t respond and ignored her question. The nurse sighed and followed after Dong Hae. �If you are going to the emergency room, no one is allowed in there right now!�

Still, Dong Hae didn�t listen to her. The nurse followed Dong Hae there and sat him down in a chair. She took a deep breath and said, �Visitors will be allowed in later, but now all right?�

When the nurse left, he heard footsteps coming again and rolled his eyes. The footsteps stopped and a voice asked, �Dong Hae? What are you doing here?�

�Just leave me alone you dumb nurse,� Dong Hae replied turning his head.

Tiffany stood there with her eyes raw from crying. Dong Hae turned his head away and apologized. She walked over to him and sat down beside him sniffling.

�He�ll�survive right?� she questioned. �He�s the strongest brother I�ve known. He can�fight it�can�t he?�

Dong Hae looked at Tiffany and nodded his head. �Of course�Jong Im is a strong kid.�

�He�s the world�s�greatest�brother.�

--

�I�ll be back later to get you Dong Hae, so don�t leave without me all right?� Tiffany said before leaving. �I�ve got to check up on my mother and YoonA.�

�Yeah, yeah��

Tiffany walked out of the hospital and Dong Hae laughed. �Like I�m going to wait. Why does she care so much anyways?�

--

�Were you jealous earlier?� YoonA asked.

Ki Bum looked at her and then straight-ahead. �No�why would I be?�

�I don�t know�it seemed like there was a hint of jealously in your voice when you told them to back off.�

Ki Bum chuckled and asked, �Your hearing is that well huh?�

YoonA smiled and nodded her head. They arrived at YoonA�s house moments later and he walked her up to her doorstep. Jung Min opened the door and was disappointed to see YoonA with Ki Bum.

�How come he�s here with you and not Tiffany?� he questioned.

�Am�I not supposed to see YoonA?� Ki Bum asked back.

Jung Min ignored Ki Bum�s question and looked at YoonA.

�Well�Tiffany had to leave school urgently�and there was no one else to escort me home. So Ki Bum did,� YoonA replied biting her lip.

Her brother nodded his head and said, �All right�all right. Come in and eat.�

Jung Min went along inside first and YoonA searched for Ki Bum with her hands. When she did, she looked at him and said, �Sorry about that. My brother doesn�t approve of me hanging around with you. He thinks you�re a bad influence because you�re Dong Hae�s friend.�

Ki Bum nodded his head. �I see�I guess I�ll have to show him that I�m much different then him�yes?�

YoonA giggled, covering her mouth with her hand and nodded her head. �Well, I�ve got to go before he really gets mad. You just got off the hook because of the whole Tiffany thing. I�ll see you later though!�

Before she ran inside, she found his cheek and gave him a light peck. Ki Bum smiled and turned away, walking off house porch.

--

�Where are you going Dong Hae? Aren�t you supposed to be waiting for your friend?� the nurse asked.

Dong Hae stopped and looked at her. �What�friend?�

�That girl Tiffany�isn�t she supposed to be coming and taking you home?�

�Yeah right. I don�t need her to escort me anywhere. I�ll be just fine.�

The nurse stopped trying to convince him to stay and sighed. Dong Hae left the building and made his way to his back to his house. The night was becoming cold and his breath was visible. On his way back, he ran into a couple gangsters.

�Hey, isn�t that that one Dong Hae guy?� one of them asked taking a toothpick out of his mouth.

Dong Hae looked up and recognized the faces on them.

�Yeah, he�s the one who slept with my girlfriend just a couple weeks ago.�

�And mine�that little man rainbow.�

�But look at him now, he can�t do anything worth sh*t. Shall we?�

Ah�sh*t

The gangsters ganged up on him kicking his crutches into the middle of the streets, letting them be destroyed as cars ran over it. Dong Hae was on the ground backing away from the gangsters until a wall was felt behind his back.

�Dong Hae�since when did you become a wimp?� one asked walking closer and closer to him.

He eyed Dong Hae�s wounded leg and smirked. With that, he stepped on it and laughed as Dong Hae cried out in pain.

�Don�t you think it�s a bit pathetic to be beating on a handicapped?� Dong Hae asked looking up at him.

The gangster looked back at his gang and laughed. �If it�s you�no. Don�t you think it�s pathetic that you have to sleep with someone�s girlfriend?�

Dong Hae smirked and said, �No. I think it�s pathetic that she agreed and not staying true to you. If she was willing�why not take that chance?�

The gangster kicked Dong Hae again and then kneeled down beside him. �Look punk, if you don�t want your other leg to be busted, then I suggest you keep your hands off my woman.�

�I don�t know if I can agree to that. Because�I think it�s your woman who has to keep her hands off of me,� Dong Hae replied back cockily.

He punched Dong Hae in the stomach and then reached into his pockets and took out a knife. �I don�t know what you�re talking about. Hae Rim is mine, not yours. Now if you have anymore cocky remarks, I just suggest that you keep them to yourself unless you want your handsome face to be gone.�

�You think�some dumb knife is going to stop me from what I�m about to say. I�ll tell you something�Hae Rim�is�a w-h-o-r-e. You know how many men she�s slept with? Oh right�you�re too dumb enough to even know.�

With Dong Hae�s remark, he punched Dong Hae again across the face.

�Hey!� a familiar voice yelled. �You leave him alone!�

Dong Hae looked over and saw Tiffany with her hands balled up in a fist.

Damn it Tiffany!

The gangsters turned their attention to her and laughed. �What�s a small girl like you going to do about it?�

Tiffany looked at Dong Hae and said to herself, �You�ve saved me�now it�s my turn.�

The gangster that was next to Dong Hae walked over to her and lifted her chin. Tiffany immediately slapped it away and frowned at him.

�Feisty are we?� he asked with a laugh.

Before he could lay a hand on her, Tiffany grabbed his hand and twisted it, kicking him in the shin. Dong Hae raised his eyebrow at her movements and shook his head.

The other gang members walked over to her and held her back. She struggled to get free as the leader walked up to her. �You b*itch!�

He grabbed a hold of her shirt and threw her beside Dong Hae. Soon, all the gang members had out their knives and closed in on the two. Dong Hae looked at Tiffany and struggled to stand up, using the wall behind him as back up.

�What do you think you�re going to do you weakling?�

Dong Hae stood up bearing the pain that he was standing on his healing leg and turned to face them. �No matter what�you will not hurt her.�

Tiffany gasped as she looked at him and then looked back down. Can I only cause trouble for him?

The gangsters laughed and the leader crossed his arms pointing his knife at him. �You always amuse me.�

Dong Hae knocked the knife out of the leader�s hand and tackled him to the cold ground. He swung punches at his face while the other members kicked and punched Dong Hae off their leader. Tiffany stood up from the ground and tried to pry them off Dong Hae but failed. One of the members punched her aside and continued hitting Dong Hae. She held her face and took in the pain. She started to panic because she knew that she couldn�t help him in anyway. She looked around and spotted a medium sized rock. Even though Tiffany hated the site of blood and violence, she had to get rid of that fear if she wanted to save Dong Hae.

No comments:

Post a Comment